RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Boykin pups???

16K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  Mark Rieger 
#1 ·
Well, after doing some research on these little dogs for a friend, I have decided I might like one as well. Anyone have any insight as to liters coming soon?? I know there was one posted in the classifieds this week, but he has a huge waiting list on females......

Thanks,
Barry

#2 ·
Barry,

There are several reputable breeders that would be a great place to start your inquiries (Kim is a great guy and breeder but as you discovered the females were spoken for a long time ago).

Phil and Karen Hinchman--Brandywine Creek Boykins (website under same name)...nearly 20% of all the HRCH Boykins are theirs. Based in Indiana

Millie and Jim Lattimer (Rock n Creek Kennels-SC) Website as well under that kennel name

Jan and Larry Hinchman (J&L Boykins-Wisconsin). I can get you their phone number if you're interested.

All three of those are as honest and devoted to the breed as you'll find and can certainly point you in a good direction if they don't have any upcoming litters (some of the breeders won't breed until the pups are spoken for).

Hope that helps. You'll really enjoy a Boykin. It's been a great breed for me.

#5 ·
Barry,

There are several reputable breeders that would be a great place to start your inquiries (Kim is a great guy and breeder but as you discovered the females were spoken for a long time ago).

Phil and Karen Hinchman--Brandywine Creek Boykins (website under same name)...nearly 20% of all the HRCH Boykins are theirs. Based in Indiana
+1 on Phil and Karen's kennel, one of the best programs and some of the nicest people anywhere!

#6 ·
I'm new to the whole Boykin thing but I'm in love...

The one that I'm training now that is soooo impressive is from Texas Trace Kennels here in TX.

I have no other experience with any other breeder but Terri Tomlinson in OK breeds them also. She's on this board.

Angie

#7 ·
I strongly recommend Hinchman's kennel, I don't have any Boykins but have run against their dogs in tournaments and in hunt tests for years, great people. If I ever got a little brown
Dog it would definitely be one of theirs.

#9 ·
Phil Hinchman is a great guy with some extremely nice dogs. I would definitely look into his kennel if I were looking for a Boykin.

John Huddleston from over the mountain kennels also has some nice Boykins.

#12 · (Edited)
Angie B,

Yes, the breeders I referenced participate or strongly encourage their buyers to do so.

Brandywine Creek has 8 HRCH titles on dogs in their kennels (earlier I said 9, but it's 8), one that I know of with a seasoned title (HR), and at least one with a SHR. Phil and Karen are fixtures at HRC events all over the midwest and southern US and don't allow breeding of their buyers' dogs unless the dog in question has at least a HR title and the necessary health clearances. They also run their dogs in the Boykin Spaniel Society upland and retrieving national field trials (separate events) and have a number of placements.

I know a number of the Rock N Creek dogs have participated in Boykin Spaniel Society field trials for many years. If I remember, the Lattimers were heavily involved in the creation of the Boykin Spaniel Society in the late 1970s, early 80s.

#16 ·
I know what you mean. I didn't know them when I bought my Boykin, but they are a class act and have gone out of their way to help me learn the ropes. Any kennel that has 1/5 or so of all the dogs in a breed with a Finished title living in their kennels tells me quite a bit.

As of a year or so ago, there were 37 Boykins with Finished titles. That number has gone up by at least five or six that I personally know of, several of whom are Brandywine owned dogs.

#17 ·
I love those little brown bomb shells - had one many years ago and I loved him and it was returned ten fold. Took some of the labs for their CERF and took Chickie too and had his eyes done. Got a call from CERF and they asked what a Boykin Spaniel was and we told them. Chickie's CERF number was BS-1. They do march to a different drummer but work for love.

#20 ·
Lawd ...say it ain't so! Really?? I thought you were looking for a BIGGER brown dog! :D QW is right, Chief is a nice one ... he has a pass or two toward his MH now as well. If I was in the market for a LBD I'd definitely be looking at him. There is another litter I know of that is kinda in your neck of the woods too. I'll send you a link FB.

#22 ·
#23 ·
For those of you posting up do any of the breeders have titled dogs. Either in trials, tests or at shows?
In this years HRC magazine the top producing Titled dogs- #1 male Boykin is one of Larry Hinchman's dog (Charlie) and in the top 10 are two of his females (Nellie and Ruby). I have a male from Larry with both Seasoned and Upland titles and I know that one of the Charlie/ Nellie crosses was the youngest Boykin or Spaniel to get an Upland title. Larry has done a good job breeding a small number of healthy, talented dogs. Worth the wait and so good I just got another!

#24 · (Edited)
I don't have any litters planned currently but hope to have at least one Boykin litter sometime this year. There's a very good litter advertised here by Kim Smith, his Bon Bon dog. Also, Phil Hinchman if you are looking for several generations of HRCH titled dogs and is a reputable breeder who is also concerned with health clearances. Pam Kadlac at Just Ducky Kennels. Bob Makla, Show Me Boykins, also does obtains health testing. Boulder Brook Boykins in Virginia and has a couple of started dogs with titles and health clearances (downsizing).

Boykin Spaniels are still ranked as the #14 breed by OFA (thru Dec 2011) with hip dysplasia. Also, some serious genetic eye diseases because very few breeders have CERF exams done on their litters and wait until their dogs are older to CERF or are already part of a breeding program. Collie Eye (CEA), PRA, cataracts, optic nerve coloboma, and retinal dysplasia just to name a few of the inherited eye diseases. I ACVO evaluate all my Boykin litters like my Lab litters, but an ACVO is available within a 45-minute drive. Exercise Induced Collapse is an identified genetic issue. Ensure the breeder is checking hearts. Of course, if the dogs are working dogs the owner will know if there is a patella issue. Thryoid disease is an issue as well as allergies and epilepsy. And there are some lines with some really "dog aggressive" nasty temperaments.

#25 ·
I'm running 2 boykins of my own now, and training a couple others....

Definatly give Phil Hinchman a call. Argueably the best boykins in the country.....

I know he has a GREAT GREAT litter on the way.....

Feel free to PM me or give me a call if you would like...

#28 ·
The Hinchman family is out to conquer the Boykin world...lol. Jan and Larry in Wisconsin and brother Phil in Indiana. I'd forgotten about the HRC producer list. Thanks for mentioning it.

#29 ·
bbmclain, I PM'ed you. BTW there is a litter scheduled with Chief and Brandywine's HRCH Tillie. Only the second time a Grand Boykin has bread an HRCH Dame.

#33 ·
Kim Smiths litter should be exceptional

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.